29.11.2010 at 06:56
 Adjustable rear wings - explanation needed

There's a story on Autosport about the adjustable rear wing that comes into force next season and I just don't understand how the thing works. I guess that's probably down to the fact that it works in a similar way to the F-duct, which I didn't understand either. What's the point of replacing one thing with another if they both do a similar job?

My real moment of confusion comes with this statement
Quote:
When activated, the flap will replicate the F-duct's effect of reducing drag, in theory making overtaking much easier as the driver ahead cannot deploy the wing in defence

Does that infer that there will be some in-board monitoring to make sure that the driver in front doesn't use his rear wing and what would it do if he did. Perhaps it's through my own confusion about this but it seems a bit mickey mouse. I thought we wanted to get back to the situation where we had less aero involvement and less influence of the wings, not more?

29.11.2010 at 06:58
 Re: Adjustable rear wings - explanation needed

And there's more... can this thing be used on the straight even if there is no car following to widen a gap and can it be used at the same time as a KERS boost or would that dangerously unstabilise the car?

29.11.2010 at 07:49

Quote:
all cars will feature a rear wing flap that can only be used when the driver remains a certain distance behind the car he is chasing

I don't know how they are going to enforce this, but the what and when seem clear to me.

29.11.2010 at 09:34

It's all linked up to the track timing system which means if a car is less than a second behind the car in front a light comes on allowing them to use the adjustable front wing. Incidentally, the car in front can use his rear wing defensively IF he's less than a second behind another car. It's similar to the system that displays a blue light in the cockpit of backmarkers (which runs alongside the blue flags)

Similarly, the system is set to prevent drivers from using it on the first 2 laps of the race (they can use it at will in quali and free practice though - this allows teams to set it up correctly)

29.11.2010 at 09:40

At the moment, rear wings are made of two elements with a small slot gap in between them. A small amount of air leaks through this slot which increases the overall efficiency of the wing.

The adjustable wing will allow drivers to move the smaller top element and open up this slot gap (it pivots the bottom edge up and away from the bottom element). Much more air spills through the slot and because of the way modern rear wings are shaped (they're far from the classic airplane wing shape at a suitable angle) this significantly reduces the downforce generated by it but more importantly, switches also reduces the drag.

As soon as the driver touches the brakes, the rear wing automatically switches back into its normal position.

While it is similar in concept to the F-duct, it should actually be a lot more effective.

29.11.2010 at 14:28

Just to confuse things further for salti (and anyone else watching) it seems they're going to vary how early you can use the wing depending on the circuit. Circuits with shorter straights will permit drivers to use it right at the start of the straight but on the longer straights there will be a delay in order to not make overtaking too easy.

Can't wait for Jonathan Legard to explain that one every weekend :sorry:

29.11.2010 at 15:31

It all seems stupidly complicated to me.

The moveable wing I'm fine with, the management of when a driver can or can't use it seems unnecessarily complicated, and will be a nightmare for people to understand - and on top of KERS too!

29.11.2010 at 15:46

There is an article on it in F1 Racing which pretty much says word for what word what Mav said. Page 22 I believe.

I have no problem with this (However much I disagree with the ethos of manufactured racing). What I really want is more emphasis on race strategy, in whatever form. Refuelling would be nice if the tyres were as durable as this year, but if they aren't no refuelling is good. I think we may see a couple of accidents caused by this rear wing.

29.11.2010 at 16:54

kimster said:
There is an article on it in F1 Racing which pretty much says word for what word what Mav said. Page 22 I believe.

Oh yes! Ah to have the time to actually read F1 Racing.

29.11.2010 at 16:54

I agree with Kimster that this is a very contrived way to (try and) create overtaking possibilities. They either should change the regs to make aero less of a factor overall, change the track layouts to promote more moves, or tell the drivers to grow a pair and drive like Kobayashi at Suzuka.

29.11.2010 at 16:58

To pitmonsters concern of using the wing and KERS:

based on my understanding of both systems, I think most drivers would almost always use them both at the same time: the longest straight on the track. KERS is basically a horsepower boost, so you wouldn't want to use it on any kind of turn-heavy part of the track or any section where you ould be on the brakes, and the wing is for DECREASING downforce, which you would only want to do on the straight as well. So if a driver can't use both on a long straight, I say get them out of F1.

29.11.2010 at 17:30

It'll be interesting to see if any innovations turn up in this area - what I and F1 Racing have described is the intended product of the rule based on the current wing designs but perhaps there is a better aerodynamic solution that had disadvantages in the fixed wing arrangement but which could suddenly come into its own.

29.11.2010 at 18:25

Guess I should take the magazine out of the packet :blush: but the explanation was good.

29.11.2010 at 18:59

If a team was clever and had two drivers in close proximity they could use the system to overtake each other consecutively on the straights thereby catching up with (or driving away from) competitors...

29.11.2010 at 19:07

skidmark said:
If a team was clever and had two drivers in close proximity they could use the system to overtake each other consecutively on the straights thereby catching up with (or driving away from) competitors...

Red Bull tried that in Turkey didn't they? ;)

29.11.2010 at 19:32

I think that there is a good possibility to see this rule used for increasing some other aspect of the car by some team(s). I bet engineers are working hard to deliver something that would be as controversial as double diffuser or F-duct. Can't wait to see the designs of this!

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English and probably tons of misspelling and grammar errors. It is not my mother tongue (if that's what it's called). Perhaps I should explain this earlier, but better ever then never!
:blush:

Bookmark and Share   Post new topic Reply to topic