21.12.2010 at 17:10
 More new technical regulations proposed for 2013

This is a report on the BBC F1 site, but not (yet) on Autosport or F1.com, so for now I suggest we take it with a pinch of salt.

"F1 cars set for major changes inspired by Head & Byrne" http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 307861.stm

Quote:
Formula 1 cars are set for more radical changes in time for 2013 as bosses look to make the sport more efficient and potentially more exciting.

Cars will have much smaller wings and specially-shaped underfloors designed to generate downforce differently.

They will use 35% less fuel and be a little slower but more challenging to drive, although passing may be easier.

Drawn up by respected engineers Patrick Head and Rory Byrne, the rules would be the biggest design change since 1983.

The draft regulations, which were requested by governing body the FIA, are to be sent to teams this week ahead of a meeting in January of F1's Technical Working Group (TWG), which scopes out rule changes.

The TWG, which includes the design heads of each team, will discuss the proposals and suggest any changes they feel might need to be made.

But the fundamental philosophy that has been created is expected to remain intact.

The major changes will be:

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.

Head, director of engineering for Williams, and Byrne, a former chief designer for Ferrari, have between them been involved in the design of cars that have won 17 constructors' titles for Williams, Benetton and Ferrari.

The pair started work on the new rules in March and have now presented a set of draft regulations to FIA race director Charlie Whiting, who will finalise them before sending them off to the teams.

"We are only going to have roughly 65% of the amount of fuel and a [limited] fuel [flow] rate - that was a given," said Head, talking exclusively to BBC Sport.

"We were just told 'That's what it will be, you've got to come up with a car spec that is not going to be more than five seconds a lap slower than a current F1 car'.

"So some circuit simulation was done by Rory at Ferrari and when we'd come up with some numbers in terms of drag and downforce it was then to try to come up with a geometry of a car that could try to achieve that."

Head and Byrne were charged with ensuring the new rules did not make overtaking any harder and, as it turns out, they could actually make passing easier.

That is because a car should lose less downforce when it is following another car if more of its total downforce is created by its underfloor rather than its wings.

This makes it easier for drivers to follow closely behind cars they are racing and therefore easier to pass.

Shaped undersides were banned in F1 at the end of the 1982 season because it was felt cornering speeds had got too fast and the cars too dangerous.

But back then they were used with skirts that touched the ground and sealed the low-pressure area, vastly increasing its efficiency.

This will be made impossible in 2013 by making the centre of the car lower than the sides.

Andrew Benson's Blog carries more information:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson ... _quie.html

21.12.2010 at 17:13
 Re: More new technical regulations proposed for 2013

To be honest, I was expecting these. They are trying to take F1 back to the 80's. Funny thing is they were talking about turbulent air affecting overtaking in the early 80's anyway! All gimmicks, no substance and bad for F1.

21.12.2010 at 19:37

When they say cut the average proportion of full throttle per lap, do they mean change the circuits, or just as a reflection of reducing the downforce and therefore reducing the amount of each corner that can be taken at full throttle?

21.12.2010 at 22:19

Geppeto said:
When they say cut the average proportion of full throttle per lap, do they mean change the circuits, or just as a reflection of reducing the downforce and therefore reducing the amount of each corner that can be taken at full throttle?

The latter I think, the reduction being a natural result of the reduced cornering speeds rather than something like software.

Although the reduced downforce could mean you are still going full throttle just as much, albeit in a lower gear...

Personally I think the balance between grip and power should be redressed. There should be a lot more power and a lot less grip so that only the truly talented or truly brave (or truly stupid?) can drive at the absolute maximum. Now even rookies can go flat in 7th through Spa's Eau Rouge* or the Becketts complex at Silverstone, and that can't be right

* admittedly Eau Rouge has been reprofiled

21.12.2010 at 22:51

Pitmonster said:
Personally I think the balance between grip and power should be redressed. There should be a lot more power and a lot less grip so that only the truly talented or truly brave (or truly stupid?) can drive at the absolute maximum. Now even rookies can go flat in 7th through Spa's Eau Rouge* or the Becketts complex at Silverstone, and that can't be right

Your no longer truly brave in an F1 car. Crash at any speed and you'll be fine. No fear and no respect on track. Of course racing would turn to crap.

21.12.2010 at 23:10

kimster said:
Crash at any speed and you'll be fine.

Not this again? :-)

21.12.2010 at 23:45

Maverick said:
kimster said:

Its true though! Its the key to everything. You want to go back to the "glory days" and there will be consequences. Anything else is merely a gimmick. Sorry but that is my opinion on this. Its ok having mean machines but they kind of have the bite of a new born baby. I think they have to go one way or the other.

22.12.2010 at 09:56

I agree with Kimster there. Overtaking is not exciting, and just being allowed to if you are behind someone (as new specs are likely to do) is pointless; like watchng them take a back marker. It's daring overtaking which we want to see and that is all in the mind of the driver and what they're told in the garage. Kamui is a great example but up the grid so is Lewis; we all remember is first astounding few years but also such a Singapore this year - whether you though he was right or wrong, he had miliseconds to decide and he took the all or die option (without the death).

22.12.2010 at 11:54

tdex01 said:
I agree with Kimster there. Overtaking is not exciting, and just being allowed to if you are behind someone (as new specs are likely to do) is pointless; like watchng them take a back marker. It's daring overtaking which we want to see and that is all in the mind of the driver and what they're told in the garage. Kamui is a great example but up the grid so is Lewis; we all remember is first astounding few years but also such a Singapore this year - whether you though he was right or wrong, he had miliseconds to decide and he took the all or die option (without the death).

When I cross the road in the morning, I face the same risk as F1 drivers.

Lewis is a racer and didn't quite make the move stick. Very aggressive driver, and Kubica did show how to do it. Just give a bit more space and the place is yours.

22.12.2010 at 12:14

kimster said:
Maverick said:
kimster said:

Its true though! Its the key to everything. You want to go back to the "glory days" and there will be consequences. Anything else is merely a gimmick. Sorry but that is my opinion on this. Its ok having mean machines but they kind of have the bite of a new born baby. I think they have to go one way or the other.

That's not really true - drivers should be punished for mistakes but I don't think that should mean death or serious injury. Yes it's far too easy to rejoin the track with the huge concrete runoffs that are provided when, at the very least, there should be a severe time penalty. Paul Ricard were experimenting with a tarmac surface that forced drivers to have to pit for fresh rubber - not sure how Pirelli would feel about that though.

22.12.2010 at 12:15

kimster said:
When I cross the road in the morning, I face the same risk as F1 drivers.

Maybe we should provide you with earplugs and a blindfold to make it more of an adventure? :sorry:

22.12.2010 at 15:50

Maverick said:
kimster said:

Surely this encourages drivers to have a go at overtaking?
Aren't they more willing to go for a gap, safe in the knowledge that if it does go wrong then it won't be fatal?

22.12.2010 at 15:56

Pitmonster said:
Surely this encourages drivers to have a go at overtaking?
Aren't they more willing to go for a gap, safe in the knowledge that if it does go wrong then it won't be fatal?

Depends what your trying to achieve. Do you want a pure form of racing or a diluted nostalgic memory of what racing used to look like.

I personally think the safety is good, as long as we move on and have less restrictions in the regulation with the governing body admitting F1 is safe (safer than the other lower formulaes as well) and taking away the handcuffs from designers. Cornering speeds go up and F1 becomes a parade of the best technology in the world, one of the ideals F1 is built on. Obviously the driver fighting the odds in a dangerous vehicle would be gone but in its place is something of equal stature. Not a flimsy half-series of nostalgia and cost cutting.

22.12.2010 at 16:30

kimster said:
Cornering speeds go up and F1 becomes a parade of the best technology in the world, one of the ideals F1 is built on.

Higher cornering speeds and more optimised technology have been driving forces behind limiting overtaking - not that I'm suggesting they should be sent back out on on skinny tyres with wire wheels.

There's a lot more overtaking in lower formulae with simpler and even more standardised car designs. Why? It's not just a case of poorer driver quality.

Is it because while F1 teams would be loath to ever admit it, there is an advantage to be gained from designing your car to be difficult to overtake as well as fast?

22.12.2010 at 16:51

Yes I know it would achieve "A more difficult car to overtake". But then we would have the technology and not the racing. At the moment we have a bit of both. But I feel we need to have one or the other but can't have both.

Though if we went back and implemented the rules in the 70's I think racing would be fantastic.

22.12.2010 at 18:17

Much of this unrestricted technology would be irrelevant to road users as the speeds necessary are incomparable - if it's not producing racing and entertainment, what is it producing?

Bookmark and Share   Post new topic Reply to topic