10.12.2010 at 18:00
 Team orders ban removed and more

The FIA WMSC meeting in Paris today clarified a few changes to the rules for the forthcoming season. Amongst the proposals was the ban on team orders (Regulation 31.9) and details of the "green engines" to be used from 2013, these will be four cylinder, 1.6-litre, high pressure gasoline injection up to 500 bar with a maximum of 12,000 rpm.

Other points of interest are gearboxes to last 5 races instead of four, clarification on when cars can overtake behind the safety car and details of the penalties the stewards can apply.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22834.html

10.12.2010 at 20:27
 Re: Team orders banned and more

What does the "re-introduction of intermediate tires for 2011" mean. I think I saw these several times this year!

10.12.2010 at 20:28

saltire said:
Amongst the proposals was the ban on team orders (Regulation 31.9)

According to Autosport they have removed the ban on team orders (regulation 31.9), using article 151c as a catch-all regulation

Autosport said:
A number of changes were confirmed in the sporting regulations from 2011, and the governing body said the "article forbidding team orders (39.1) is deleted."

The FIA said, however, that there would still be a rule to allow it to punish teams if it considers they had brought the sport into disrepute with their actions.

"Teams will be reminded that any actions liable to bring the sport into disrepute are dealt with under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code and any other relevant provisions," it said.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88645

Presumably then, team orders are allowed if they are done in the 'proper' way (i.e. as longs as team don't take the mickey).

Is this the right decision?

10.12.2010 at 20:30

shonevkg said:
What does the "re-introduction of intermediate tires for 2011" mean. I think I saw these several times this year!

I was thinking the same thing.

We already have intermediate tyres, for use in wet-to-dry conditions.
Is this press release talking about something different?

10.12.2010 at 21:55

I really don't like the engine decisions. Four-cylinder cars just won't sound right, something Mosley was always so keen to keep alive as its the biggest attraction to seeing a race live. And also reducing the rev limits even further is just awful, forget the fancy rear wings, lets just get the engines reving to 20,000 - 25,000.

10.12.2010 at 22:32

Don't they call the intermediate the wet tyre and the wet the extreme wet? So they are speaking sense again basically..

10.12.2010 at 22:32

tdex01 said:
I really don't like the engine decisions. Four-cylinder cars just won't sound right, something Mosley was always so keen to keep alive as its the biggest attraction to seeing a race live. And also reducing the rev limits even further is just awful, forget the fancy rear wings, lets just get the engines reving to 20,000 - 25,000.

Sounding good doesn't matter to me.

11.12.2010 at 07:54

Pitmonster said:
saltire said:
Amongst the proposals was the ban on team orders (Regulation 31.9)

According to Autosport they have removed the ban on team orders (regulation 31.9), using article 151c as a catch-all regulation

Oops! This is what happens when I try and use my phone to post something quickly. I did mean the ban was removed but obviously I forgot to add the removed bit.

Does the ban removal mean that Jenson will now consider his position? He certainly thought so after the Ferrari incident, perhaps he is worried that he will be forced to play 2nd driver to Lewis.

Quote:
"“If team orders come in then I will consider my future. I wouldn’t stop straight away, but I think it will definitely shorten my career in F1." -Jenson Button

11.12.2010 at 08:14
 Re: Team orders ban removed and more

A bit more on the green engine and the turbo boost coming in from 2013.
http://www.stuartcodling.com/2010/12/ju ... nclusions/

11.12.2010 at 09:59

kimster said:
Don't they call the intermediate the wet tyre and the wet the extreme wet? So they are speaking sense again basically..

So they've re-named the existing tyres to make things make sense?

If so, why not just say that in the announcement?
"Reintroducing intermediate tyres" implies the return of something that was not already there, not a simple renaming of something that was already there, which is where the confusion comes from. If indeed that us what they've actually done.

I don't know if people are winding down for Christmas, but there hasn't been enough discussion in the F1 press (Autosport etc) of what these announcements actually mean - they all just seem to have cut'n'pasted the press release and left it at that. For example, will the removal of rule 39.1 make things better or worse? What is the penalty for not using both types of tyre, and surely there was a rule that covered this already so why the need for a new one? etc

12.12.2010 at 09:02

Stefano Domenicali praises the removal of team orders
http://bit.ly/hfA66h
Quote:
"Finally, we have said goodbye to this pointless hypocrisy," he said during an event at the Bologna Motor Show. "For us, Formula 1 is a team sport and we have always maintained that viewpoint and it should be treated as such."

12.12.2010 at 09:11

Quote:
"Finally, we have said goodbye to this pointless hypocrisy," he said during an event at the Bologna Motor Show. "For us, Formula 1 is a team sport and we have always maintained that viewpoint and it should be treated as such."

Translation
Quote:
"Finally we can have said goodbye to any chance Felipe Massa ever had to wining a drivers world championship. He will be just like Rubens," he said during an event at the Bologna Motor Show. For us, Felipe is now legally obliged to jump out of the way of Fernando in most daily situations. Such as waiting in line at the post office, queueing for lunch in the motorhome or during a race. This is how we view as a team sport and have always maintained the viewpoint that we work as a team to make Fernando win and Felipe should treated as such.

12.12.2010 at 10:34

:-D

12.12.2010 at 10:57

Talking of team orders, Sebastian Vettel's safety car penalty has emerged as being caused by Vettel trying to back up the pack to help Mark Webber (As we pretty much suspected at the time.). It also puts into context the fear the team had because after the race I recall Rocky giving Vettel a message effectively saying be careful what you say to the media. Sebastian Vettel was helping Mark Webber win... not bad for a number 2 driver eh?

12.12.2010 at 15:47

Team orders haven't been banned - they're leaving it to the vague discretion of filing it under bringing the sport into disrepute. So they're allowed unless the when, how or who of it annoys enough people (or enough of the right people) to be considered as having brought the sport into disrepute.

Not sure how that helps things.

12.12.2010 at 15:57

tdex01 said:
And also reducing the rev limits even further is just awful, forget the fancy rear wings, lets just get the engines reving to 20,000 - 25,000.

12,000rpm is in-line with the 1980's turbos - they don't need to run as fast as 20,000+

Bookmark and Share   Post new topic Reply to topic