8.12.2010 at 10:05
 Lotus-Renault officially announced

The Renault team has been officially renamed "Lotus-Renault" after Group lotus (that's the car company) bought a stake.
The iconic black and gold livery has also returned
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88616
Quote:
The announcement of Group Lotus' plans for 2011 comes despite Tony Fernandes pushing on with his plans to race as Team Lotus next year - with his outfit now also having Renault engines and set to run in black and gold colours.

Group Lotus CEO Dany Bahar, who has been pushing aggressively for his company's return to motorsport, added: "I can think of no better platform for automotive brand communications than motorsport and F1 is the very pinnacle of open-wheel racing.

"We're well aware that there has been a lot of controversy around the usage of our brand in F1 and I'm delighted to be able to formally clarify our position once and for all: we are Lotus and we are back."

23.12.2010 at 20:21
 Re: Lotus-Renault officially announced

kimster said:
Maverick said:
Not really, he'd established a team carrying the Lotus name and then Proton tried to take it away

Yes they took something away that was already their's in the first place :worry:

Well they should have had the guts to start a team last year, instead of letting Fernandes break the ground and then ride in hoping to take all the good will he'd built up

Screw both sides trying to ride on Chapman's legacy - Bahar is trying to ride on Fernandes' legacy!

23.12.2010 at 20:23

More on this from Adam Cooper

23.12.2010 at 20:25

If the Chapman family didn't want the return of Team Lotus then why on earth didn't they buy the rights to the name before now. I'm sure David Hunt would have sold it if asked.

23.12.2010 at 20:40

saltire said:
If the Chapman family didn't want the return of Team Lotus then why on earth didn't they buy the rights to the name before now. I'm sure David Hunt would have sold it if asked.

I don't know... perhaps because Group Lotus are going to buy them a museum? :WHISTLE: :LOL:

23.12.2010 at 20:42

Maverick said:
Well they should have had the guts to start a team last year, instead of letting Fernandes break the ground and then ride in hoping to take all the good will he'd built up

Screw both sides trying to ride on Chapman's legacy - Bahar is trying to ride on Fernandes' legacy!

It wasn't financially viable for them to setup a team. They are just sponsoring and part own this year too. And they claim they tried to have a tie-up with Lotus Racing but Fernandes the businessman was trying to rip them off. If they had taken half the men from Toyota and made a lot of promises then they would have had the exact same amount of work as Air Asia. Anyway, that's all Gascoyne's work.

Mr Air Asia doesn't have a legacy to steal! And that is why he sponsored another team? Right?

Waste of money Salti. They didn't expect a Twitter account and a few interviews would buy the love of the media...

23.12.2010 at 20:43

Maverick said:
I don't know... perhaps because Group Lotus are going to buy them a museum? :WHISTLE: :LOL:

And that would be more than Air Asia has done for Lotus... He stole Colin Chapman's hat too...

23.12.2010 at 20:49

kimster said:
Maverick said:

And that would be more than Air Asia has done for Lotus... He stole Colin Chapman's hat too...

It still has nothing to do with heritage or protecting the memory does it? Just lots of £ signs

Nobody is covering themselves in glory in this, especially the company claiming they're not after Team Lotus' heritage while building a heritage centre and cybersquatting on teamlotus.com

23.12.2010 at 20:54

Maverick said:
It still has nothing to do with heritage or protecting the memory does it? Just lots of £ signs

Nobody is covering themselves in glory in this, especially the company claiming they're not after Team Lotus' heritage while building a heritage centre and cybersquatting on teamlotus.com

At least Group Lotus are doing it rather than the guy who runs Air Asia. He is a PR obsessed opportunist that has no respect for the work Dany Bahar has done. Tries ripping off Group Lotus because they didn't sell him the company. He is very bitter.

Yes, but the centre is being run by Chapman's son at his request!

23.12.2010 at 21:07

Who does have respect for the work Bahar has done? His business plan is ridiculous!

Hell, he's promising a museum which will do nothing to help sell the cars before he's even sold a car! What sort of sense of priority is that?

He's already doing enough to screw up a classic British car manufacturer, why should I be happy about him doing the same to a classic British racing team?

23.12.2010 at 21:15

Maverick said:
Who does have respect for the work Bahar has done? His business plan is ridiculous!

Hell, he's promising a museum which will do nothing to help sell the cars before he's even sold a car! What sort of sense of priority is that?

He's already doing enough to screw up a classic British car manufacturer, why should I be happy about him doing the same to a classic British racing team?

What's wrong with his business plan. They are clearly doing something right if they can afford F1 now.

It was already screwed up. Proton saved the situation! Air Asia is now sweeping in taking praise for doing nothing but take credit for other people's success.

23.12.2010 at 21:22

kimster said:
What's wrong with his business plan. They are clearly doing something right if they can afford F1 now.

Proton can, as Fiat could. However, despite what Bahar thinks, Lotus are not Ferrari.

23.12.2010 at 21:34

I wish the FIA would give both Lotus a 151c warning, this is just getting silly now.

Oh yeah ... the twisted wish, must dig that out and dust it off

3.1.2011 at 08:44

To me the whole business plan sounds bizarre. Too much too soon.

I don't think that GL are actually investing that much on Renault and they most definitely do not have a 50% stake of shares. It's probably a lot less than people think, because otherwise they would have made the numbers public. And that's fine by me. I mean it isn't as if a tiny car maker has too much money to throw around.

What I'm more concerned of is the way they are planning to expand their production car line-up. Something like five new cars and all of them are supposed to take the fight to the likes of Porsche or Ferrari. In your dreams Mr. Bahar. I just don't think Lotus has the money to compete with them. One car at a time could be possible (like what McLaren are doing), but five is just too much.

Bookmark and Share   Post new topic Reply to topic