8.12.2010 at 10:05
 Lotus-Renault officially announced

The Renault team has been officially renamed "Lotus-Renault" after Group lotus (that's the car company) bought a stake.
The iconic black and gold livery has also returned
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88616
Quote:
The announcement of Group Lotus' plans for 2011 comes despite Tony Fernandes pushing on with his plans to race as Team Lotus next year - with his outfit now also having Renault engines and set to run in black and gold colours.

Group Lotus CEO Dany Bahar, who has been pushing aggressively for his company's return to motorsport, added: "I can think of no better platform for automotive brand communications than motorsport and F1 is the very pinnacle of open-wheel racing.

"We're well aware that there has been a lot of controversy around the usage of our brand in F1 and I'm delighted to be able to formally clarify our position once and for all: we are Lotus and we are back."

9.12.2010 at 21:05
 Re: Lotus-Renault officially announced

Group Lotus 'hints as' full takeover of Renault team
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88635
Quote:
Group Lotus says its Formula 1 ambitions extend beyond being a title sponsor and shareholder of the re-branded Lotus Renault team - as it hints about taking full control of the outfit in the next few years.

The Malaysian-owned car maker has taken a 50 per cent stake in Lotus Renault, with the other half of the company remaining under the control of Genii Capital.

And although nothing has been decided yet about future ownership plans, Lotus CEO Dany Bahar has hinted about a full-on takeover in the next few years.

"Our way of doing things means that at the end of the project we would like to control it ourselves," he told this week's AUTOSPORT in an exclusive interview.

9.12.2010 at 21:47

Geppeto said:
There seems to be quite a discussion on the JA website on whether the black and gold livery would be against EU law as it's supposedly blatantly representative of JPS and therefore advertising cigarettes just as Ferrari's barcode on the car did.

There are some more pictures of the black and gold livery via these two links:
T128 “EF”
T129 “AS”

I know its a mockup but the KERS warning symbol is on the airbox, in 2009 it was above where the system was, so are they doing something different? (the airbox does look bloated in the pic on the first page)

9.12.2010 at 22:34

kimster said:
They have a smoking area in my college, and to be honest I have no idea why people smoke cigarettes. And I have no idea what effect advertising has. I hardly but anything off the basis of an advert... I only don't buy things on the basis of an advert!

My parents smoked, my grandparents smoked, my sister smokes, and I was exposed to cigarette advertising in the newspapers and in sports sponsorship.

And yet I don't smoke. Go figure.

11.12.2010 at 16:34

Tony Fernandes announces that his team will stick with green and yellow for next year:
http://tmi.me/4511z
Quote:
After lots of thought. The shareholders riad and mike have decided we will stay with green and yellow for next season. Silly to have 4 black and gold cars. With formula one going green what better to have green. Also to many negative comments on cigarettes

11.12.2010 at 21:45

I hate how fans are siding with Fernandes on this matter of who is Lotus. To me, Proton have more right to describe themselves as Lotus, even though I wouldn't describe them as Chapman Lotus.

12.12.2010 at 15:32

kimster said:
I hate how fans are siding with Fernandes on this matter of who is Lotus. To me, Proton have more right to describe themselves as Lotus, even though I wouldn't describe them as Chapman Lotus.

If Proton want to call themselves Lotus in F1, they should have bought the naming rights when it was offered to them. Lotus computers couldn't turn up in F1 expecting to name their team Lotus!

15.12.2010 at 19:50

saltire said:
... what concerns me is will this affect Team Lotus ability to run with the Renault power plant or are Group Lotus now soley an engine customer and have no say on who else Renault (as an engine supplier) supply?

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks this way, Stuart Codling suggests that if Fernandes isn't careful he'll lose the engine deal... maybe another legal challenge in the offing!

15.12.2010 at 20:04

Maverick said:
If Proton want to call themselves Lotus in F1, they should have bought the naming rights when it was offered to them. Lotus computers couldn't turn up in F1 expecting to name their team Lotus!

Yes but that doesn't make them the real "Team Lotus" does it if its some Malaysian businessman? Neither is Proton defined as the real Lotus. Its just a case of businessmen thinking they can fool fans by taking them back to the days of Chapman Lotus.

15.12.2010 at 20:04

Bahar claims Fernandes wanted too much money for Lotus peace deal
http://goo.gl/fb/FxUdF
Quote:
Lotus CEO Danny Bahar hosted a small group of media at the RAC Club in London today, of which I was one, to lay out his vision for Lotus in F1 and road cars. He didn’t say much about his rival Tony Fernandes, who has been using the Lotus name in F1 this season. However he did say that he tried to do a deal with him, but the Malaysian wanted too much money,

“We tried, but when the counter proposals are so ridiculous, there is no point to continue to talk. ” said Bahar. “(The Renault deal) was one third of the cost.”

But Tony Fernandes has denied this, “Complete rubbish,” he said. ” We never ever talked about numbers. Proton paid us US$ 1 million in sponsorship. I offered him to be joint venture partners, I offered share swap, we did everything. if he gave use $20 million (believed to be the level of the Lotus sponsorship of Renault) he could have got so much out of it. He would be in Norfolk, sponsoring a team that own Team Lotus. He would have Clive Chapman down the road and together we could all have worked together to bring Lotus to greater heights in three years.”

15.12.2010 at 20:58

kimster said:
Maverick said:

Yes but that doesn't make them the real "Team Lotus" does it if its some Malaysian businessman? Neither is Proton defined as the real Lotus. Its just a case of businessmen thinking they can fool fans by taking them back to the days of Chapman Lotus.

Teams change ownership all the time - should McLaren really have any claim on the heritage of Bruce McLaren?

The only way Proton can win is via backroom deals in Malaysia - what has that got to do with Colin Chapman? Fact is, if this was left to the British courts, Fernandes owns the rights.

16.12.2010 at 12:07

Pitmonster said:
Bahar claims Fernandes wanted too much money for Lotus peace deal
http://goo.gl/fb/FxUdF

I love Gascoyne's response
"Interesting to read dany Behar's comments about wanting to work with us, don't think anyone here noticed that!!!"
http://twitter.com/#!/MikeGascoyne/stat ... 4555292672

16.12.2010 at 12:08

Bahar believes the Team Lotus name should be allowed to rest...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... peace.html

Now if that isn't an admission that he can't get his grubby little hands on it, I don't know what is!

16.12.2010 at 12:12

Dany Bahar is now talking about Proton building their own engines - how very un-Lotus of him!
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2494 ... 1-engines/

Which might come as news to Renault who were only just talking about making a profit from F1 by selling engines and looking to supply a fourth team in a few years time.

I think we've found a replacement for Briatore's ego.

16.12.2010 at 12:34

Maverick said:
Dany Bahar is now talking about Proton building their own engines - how very un-Lotus of him!
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2494 ... 1-engines/

Which might come as news to Renault who were only just talking about making a profit from F1 by selling engines and looking to supply a fourth team in a few years time.

I think we've found a replacement for Briatore's ego.

He didn't really mention F1 and I think that's been a bit blown out of proportion. I don't support Bahar in this whole mess. But I am not a fan of Fernandes either. Very good PR and looks good with his Twitter pages and the such (Which I think is the real reason for fan support in this), but his motives make me suspicious. I think Bahar has every right to be angry with Fernandes as he owns more of "Lotus" than Fernandes. Fernandes owns Air Asia and the "Team" in Lotus. Opportunist is the only word to sum up Fernandes. Frankly I have less respect for Fernandes then I have for Bahar.

Why can't Malaysia F1 call themselves Malaysia F1 and Lotus call themselves Lotus?

16.12.2010 at 13:26

kimster said:
Why can't Malaysia F1 call themselves Malaysia F1 and Lotus call themselves Lotus Proton?

Corrected.

16.12.2010 at 13:46

Proton own Lotus Cars. The key business Chapman set up (Very near where I live actually :p). They own the name Lotus. Now Fernandes comes in saying he owns the name Team Lotus. So if I set up a team called Megaforce Lotus and base myself in Hornsey, am I real Lotus? Neither have a right and especially not Fernandes.

Bookmark and Share   Post new topic Reply to topic