8.12.2010 at 10:05
 Lotus-Renault officially announced

The Renault team has been officially renamed "Lotus-Renault" after Group lotus (that's the car company) bought a stake.
The iconic black and gold livery has also returned
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88616
Quote:
The announcement of Group Lotus' plans for 2011 comes despite Tony Fernandes pushing on with his plans to race as Team Lotus next year - with his outfit now also having Renault engines and set to run in black and gold colours.

Group Lotus CEO Dany Bahar, who has been pushing aggressively for his company's return to motorsport, added: "I can think of no better platform for automotive brand communications than motorsport and F1 is the very pinnacle of open-wheel racing.

"We're well aware that there has been a lot of controversy around the usage of our brand in F1 and I'm delighted to be able to formally clarify our position once and for all: we are Lotus and we are back."

8.12.2010 at 20:09
 Re: Lotus-Renault officially announced

Mike Gascoyne asked Twitterers to vote on what colour scheme his team should go with next year:
Quote:
Green and Yellow - 77%.
Black and gold - 15%.
Red and gold 4%.
Others - 4%.
Seems pretty conclusive

I presume the red and gold is a reference to Lotus's early "Gold Leaf" sponsorship

8.12.2010 at 20:15

Lukehmuse had a pic on twitter of the other Lotus in black and gold, it looked awesome. Must go see if I can find it again.

8.12.2010 at 20:19

Ah it came from JA's site.
Click to enlarge

8.12.2010 at 21:29

saltire said:
Click to enlarge

I know they are pretty much the same, but I prefer that one. Must be the lack or red endplates, but there's something else I can't put my finger on. Perhaps it's just because it was photographed against a black background instead of white.

8.12.2010 at 21:34

More from James Allen:
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/12/i ... -suits-me/
Quote:
Group Lotus boss Danny Bahar, who now controls 25% of the Enstone based team (livery above), went on BBC Radio Norfolk today to talk about his plans for the company. He brushed off the confusion, saying that it suits him to have four Lotus cars on the grid as it doubles his brand exposure, he’s getting free advertising from Tony Fernandes’ team – but I’m not sure we should believe him on that. This is an unworkable situation from a business point of view, which will cause difficulty for the sponsors of both teams and they will be pressing for a resolution.

“I have nothing against it,” said Bahar. “It’s not a problem for me, four are better than two. The controversy has been mainly pushed out by Media, it’s been dealt with by our shareholders together with 1 Malaysia Team.” (the Norfolk based team)

(For clarity: The Enstone based team is Renault, the Norfolk based team is Mike Gascoyne's)
Quote:
The two sides will face each other around a table tomorrow at the F1 commission meeting, which is attended by the team principals of all F1 teams, plus circuit owners, sponsors, tyre company, FIA and Bernie Ecclestone

9.12.2010 at 08:30

Pitmonster said:
saltire said:
Click to enlarge

I know they are pretty much the same, but I prefer that one. Must be the lack or red endplates, but there's something else I can't put my finger on. Perhaps it's just because it was photographed against a black background instead of white.

Think the other difference is a slightly whiter gold, rather than the yellow gold on the Renault. Much prefer this one.

9.12.2010 at 12:20

Notable that they haven't dared call themselves Team Lotus - tantamount to an admission that they're in the wrong.

9.12.2010 at 12:24

Pitmonster said:
Quote:
The two sides will face each other around a table tomorrow at the F1 commission meeting, which is attended by the team principals of all F1 teams, plus circuit owners, sponsors, tyre company, FIA and Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie will keep this rolling because it generates headlines but ultimately he knows it can't continue long-term to have two Lotus-Renault teams.

9.12.2010 at 13:41

There seems to be quite a discussion on the JA website on whether the black and gold livery would be against EU law as it's supposedly blatantly representative of JPS and therefore advertising cigarettes just as Ferrari's barcode on the car did.

There are some more pictures of the black and gold livery via these two links:
T128 “EF”
T129 “AS”

9.12.2010 at 15:58

Geppeto said:
There seems to be quite a discussion on the JA website on whether the black and gold livery would be against EU law as it's supposedly blatantly representative of JPS and therefore advertising cigarettes just as Ferrari's barcode on the car did.

An interesting point, but are the two situations the same though?

Ferrari's "barcode" was hand-in-hand with a multi-million dollar sponsorship cheques from Philip Morris Tobacco.

As far as anyone can tell, there is no funding from any tobacco company in the Lotus-Renault team(s). So while the colour scheme is clearly evocative of JPS, I think it's stretching it to say it's advertising cigarettes - if only for the reason that there is no money involved.

9.12.2010 at 16:38

Pitmonster said:
So while the colour scheme is clearly evocative of JPS, I think it's stretching it to say it's advertising cigarettes - if only for the reason that there is no money involved.

I hope that's the case, I'd love to see the black and gold back as it's one of the earliest memories of F1 I have.

9.12.2010 at 17:45

Geppeto said:

Do John Player ciggies still exist? If they don't then it's fine, surely. (My missus gave up smoking 11 years ago, so I've happily lost touch with the brands.)

9.12.2010 at 18:07

They have a smoking area in my college, and to be honest I have no idea why people smoke cigarettes. And I have no idea what effect advertising has. I hardly but anything off the basis of an advert... I only don't buy things on the basis of an advert!

9.12.2010 at 18:25

Geppeto said:

The EU isn't THAT mad! :-D

9.12.2010 at 19:28

saltire said:
Lukehmuse had a pic on twitter of the other Lotus in black and gold, it looked awesome. Must go see if I can find it again.

Very nice... but weren't they going to let the fans design the car? :-)

9.12.2010 at 20:11

I suppose this explains the Red Bull gearbox deal - the engine will still be Renault but the gearbox would have been Proton.

Bookmark and Share   Post new topic Reply to topic