The F1 Quiz – New Circuits
F1 is off to the Buddh International Circuit this weekend but since this is our first visit to India there’s little I can ask about the event. Fear not however, for I have a cunning plan: ten questions on the inaguaral events at the last circuits to have joined the F1 calendar. From Albert Park in 1996 through to Yeongam in 2010 I’ve a question for you on each new event… how much do you remember about them?
1. Albert Park, 1996. A spectacular first lap accident saw this drivers car split in two. Name the driver and the team he drove for.
2. Sepang, 1999. Ferrari were disqualified for running a controversial aerodynamic device at this inagural event, which piece of aero had the stewards upset?
3. Bahrain, 2004. Which driver knocked over a couple of his pit crew during a pit stop?
4. Shanghai, 2004. Which driver made his first appearance of the season at this circuit and for which team did he drive?
5. Istanbul Park, 2005. Which team’s drivers had problems with rear right punctures during the race?
6. Valencia Street Circuit, 2008. Who was the title sponsor for the European GP?
7. Marina Bay, 2008. Which team abandoned using their electronic traffic light release system after an unsafe release from the pit?
8. 2009, Yas Marina. This driver pulled into the wrong team’s pit garaage, who was he?
9. 2010, Yeongam. Who retired from leading the race when his engine failed?
10. 2011, Greater Noida. Which driver holds the honour of being the first to drive an F1 car around a lap of the Buddh International Circuit?
2. The bargeboards were judged to be too large. A later appeal ruled them to be legal and points were awarded for their 1-2 finish.
3. Ralf Schumacher (yes, I did put Ralph originally)
4. Jacques Villeneuve, Renault
5. Williams, both Webber and Heidfeld had two punctures each
6. LII Telefónica
8. Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) pulled up in the Red Bull garage
9. Sebastian Vettel
10. Neel Jani, Red Bull
Photos: Red Bull Racing/Bryn Lennon/Getty Images | Williams/LAT Photographic