The F1 Quiz – Australia
The off-season will soon be just a distant memory as Australia gets ready to host the first race of the season in Melbourne’s Albert Park. Always a firm favourite on the calendar, getting up at silly o’clock to watch the action unfold just seems to make it even more exciting. Add to that an inevitable dose of controversy as the teams ponder the validity of their rival’s designs and we have a ratings winner. I’ve ten questions for you on past Australian GP’s … how much do you remember about them?
1. This Australian circuit holds the record for hosting the shortest GP in the sport’s history? Name the venue and the year.
2. Which driver was given an emergency tracheotomy at trackside after crashing heavily during free practice in 1995?
3. Ten of the current drivers have made their F1 debut at the Australian GP, but which of them have finished in a points scoring position?
4. Tragedy struck in 2001 when race marshal Graham Beveridge was killed as a result of a collision between two cars. Name the drivers involved in the accident.
5. The Australian GP has decided the driver’s world championship on several occasions; who was the last driver to secure his title here and why was it noteworthy?
6. Why was Yannick Dalmas denied points after finishing 5th at the 1987 race?
7. Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez were disqualified after last years’ race. What was the reason for their disqualification?
8. The 1988 Australian GP was the last race to allow turbo-powered cars to compete. Which constructor won that race and what was the cars’ designation?
9. Who pulled into the pits and refused to continue in protest at weather conditions during the 1989 race?
10. Which driver was lucky to escape serious injury after David Coulthard’s car became airborne in 2007?
2. Mika Hakkinen
3. Lewis Hamilton (3rd) Mark Webber (5th), Kimi Raikkonen (6th) and Paul di Resta (10th). Di Resta was promoted to tenth place after both Sauber drivers were disqualified.
4. Ralph Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve
5. Michael Schumacher, 1994. An collision with Damon Hill took both drivers out of the race and ensured Schumacher his first WDC title.
6. His team (Lola) had an official entry for just one car and he was the teams’ second driver
7. The upper face of the rear wing flap was too curved for the regulations
8. McLaren MP4/4
9. Alain Prost
10. Alexander Wurz
Photos: Sauber Motorsport AG | Williams F1/Charles Coates/LAT Photographic.