Stats From Hungaroring Qualifying
Pole position looked like being Lewis Hamilton’s from start to finish in Hungary but further down the grid, there were more questions to be answered. Romain Grosjean completed the front row, the Lotus driver back on the qualifying form that has been missing for the last two races. Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button make up the second row.
It was mixed fortunes, however, for Red Bull as Mark Webber missed out on Q3 after lying third quickest after his first run only for a poor second run on an improving track saw him tumble down the order to eleventh in an extremely closely fought Q2. Mercedes were the other surprise Q2 victims as both drivers struggled to make an impact.
- Lewis Hamilton captured McLaren’s 150th pole position, the first coming at the 1972 Canadian Grand Prix courtesy of Peter Revson.
- Hamilton remains the season’s best qualifier, with an average qualifying position of 2.9, almost two places ahead of second best Sebastian Vettel (4.8).
- Bruno Senna made it through to Q3 for the first time this season, meaning that both Williams cars featured in the final shoot-out.
- Mercedes failed to reach Q3 with either driver for the first time in 2012.
- Charles Pic out-qualified team mate Timo Glock for the third race in a row.
Qualifying Lap Times
|3. Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:21.416|
|10. Hulkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:22.847|
|Q2 cut-off time:||1:21.697|
|11. Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1:21.715|
|12. di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1:21.813|
|16. Vergne||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:22.380|
|Q1 cut-off time:||1:22.948|
|18. Ricciardo||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:23.250|
|23. de la Rosa||HRT-Cosworth||1:25.916|
107% time: 1:27.519
Best Sector Times
Strong in all three sectors, Lewis Hamilton goes in to tomorrow’s race with a quick and well set-up car. But will rain play a role in the outcome?
What are your predictions for the race? Has the Red Bull engine map ban affected the teams’ performance? Could Romain Grosjean become this season’s eighth race winner? Who was lucky and who was unlucky today? Let us know your thoughts in the comments…
Photo: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes